About two weeks ago, I decided to bake my coworkers a cake in celebration of independence. I thought this was a fantastic idea, however after I had already mixed together all my ingredients, I realized I had no idea how to turn on the oven.
You see, my kitchen comes equipped with a propane oven/stove, and while lighting the stove part is pretty self-explanatory, no one ever showed me how to turn on the oven.
Deciding it was best to try to not burn down my house (which is only about 6 months old) by trying to light something mysterious involving explosive gas vapors, I instead turned to my good friend The Interwebz. I initially lookedfor instructions on how to light the oven, but thankfully The Interwebz had other plans, and steered me to another solution: The microwave.
(Sidenote: To the people I gchatted randomly, inquiring “Do you think microwaving a cake will work?” who then mocked me: I WIN.)
It turns out that not only can you easily bake in a microwave, but it’s about eleventy billion times faster than baking in an oven. And comes with that added benefit of not burning down your house.
Fast forward to the fact that not only did I discover that you can bake in a microwave, but you can bake individual servings of cake in a mug in the microwave.
The Interwebz know EVERYTHING.
Today I decided to try this out. The recipe I have, however, had a few things that I didn’t have here, so I had to make some substitutions, because I refuse to let a stupid thing like “ingredients” get in my way of cake. NOSIREE.
- coffee mug << This I have!
- 4 tablespoons flour << Also have!
- 4 tablespoons sugar << Totes have, I’m on a roll
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa << Not so much
- 2 tablespoons whisked egg << Nope
- 3 tablespoons milk << Sort of
- 3 tablespoons oil << Uh, no
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips << No
- splash vanilla or other flavoring << Negatory
For a fudgier version, omit egg! << Super awesome
- Flour? sugar? check.
- Milk? Uhh, powdered milk works, right? (kinda)
- Oil? Replace with butter.
- Egg? The end says you can leave it out!
- Choc chips? Vanilla? Psshhh just extra garnish
- Cocoa? Replace with chocolate syrup (totes the same thing) (and yes, it’s weird that I have chocolate syrup but not eggs. I realize this. But that’s just how the world works sometimes, people. Geesh)